Broth Mix Soup
- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Note: The 5 minutes of preparation needs to be done at least 2 hours before cooking.
- 100g broth mix. Most supermarkets sell this, it's a mix of dried barley and pulses.
- 1 good vegetable stock cube or half a level tablespoon of vegetable stock powder/granules
- At least 2 hours before cooking, boil the kettle and pour a generous amount of boiling water over the broth mix. It needs to be covered by at least a couple of inches of water. You could do it in the morning ready for the evening.
- When ready to cook, drain the broth mix and rinse well with cold water.
- Boil the kettle, you need about 500ml water.
- Put the broth mix and stock into a pan.
- Once the kettle has boiled, add about 500ml boiling water to the pan. The amount is not exact, it depends how liquidy you like your soup. Stir until the stock has dissolved.
- Put the lid on, put the pan on a medium heat and set your kitchen timer for 40 minutes. When it starts to bubble, it needs to bubble gently (more than simmer, but not furious).
- When 40 minutes have passed, serve.