Cheese and Potato Cakes
- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10-20 minutes (depends on how many cakes you can fit in your pan at one time)
- Note: This recipe uses half a tin of potatoes, and the other half won't keep for more than a day or two in the fridge and won't freeze well. So you might have to eat this two days in a row, or use them to make potato and broad bean omlet.
- Half a 540g tin of potatoes, drained (about 170g drained)
- 40-50g grated cheese
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped) or half a level teaspoon of garlic granules/powder
- 1 teaspoon of oil for frying
- Some pickled beetroot to serve on the side
Replace the cheese with:
- 3 level tablespoons of soya flour
- 1 level teaspoon of dried rosemary
- Mix the garlic and grated cheese together.
- Mash or grate the potatoes.
- Mix the cheese and potatoes together well.
- On a plate, put a piece of cling film - this will stop the potato cakes from sticking to the plate.
- Mould the potato mix into 4 equal rounds about 1cm thick and place them on the cling film.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, it needs to be hot.
- Fry the potato cakes for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with the pickled beetroot.