Pasta with Bean and Tomato Sauce
- Serves: 1
- Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
- I handful of macaroni (about 30g)
- Half a 400g tin/carton of chopped tomatoes (about 200g)
- Half a 420g tin of pulses such as kidney beans, butter beans, cannellini beans or chick peas. Drained and rinsed (about 120g drained).
- 1 cloves of garlic (finely chopped), or half a level teaspoon of garlic granules/powder
- 1/2 level teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 level teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 level teaspoon dried oregano
- Some yeast flakes, such as Marigold Health Foods Engevita Yeast Flakes, or grated parmesan cheese for sprinkling (optional)
- In a pan, mix the tomatoes, pulses, garlic and herbs and place on a medium heat.
- Cover with a lid and cook until it starts to bubble.
- Add the pasta and give it a good stir.
- Put the lid back on and turn the heat down a little so that it continues to bubble gently.
- Check now and again so that it doesn't stick to the bottom. If it starts to stick, add a little water and give it a good stir before putting the lid back on.
- Cook until the pasta is done, which is usually a couple of minutes longer than the cooking time on the packet.
- Serve and sprinkle with yeast flakes or parmesan (if desired).