Pasta with Tomato Pesto and Cannellini Beans (MICROWAVE)
- Serves: 1
- Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
- Note: My microwave is 700w, you may need to vary times and settings for your own.
- 1 handful of penne or macaroni (about 30g)
- Half a 410g tin of haricot beans, drained and rinsed (about 120g drained)
- Half a tin/carton of chopped tomatoes (about 200g)
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped) or 1 level teaspoon of garlic granules/powder
- 3 rounded teaspoons of tomato puree
- 2 level teaspoons of dried parsley
- 2 level teaspoons of dried basil
- 1 rounded teaspoon of pine nuts or chopped pastachios (about 5g)
- Some yeast flakes, such as Marigold Health Foods Engevita Yeast Flakes, for sprinkling (optional)
- Replace the pine nuts with chopped pecans
- Replace the cannellini beans with barlotti beans
- Put the pasta in a high sided bowl that will hold around 500ml (so that the water doesn't boil over).
- Add 200ml water to the pasta.
- Cover the bowl with a plate and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes on full power, then let it stand for 2 minutes.
- Repeat step 3 above.
- Use a pestle and morter to mix together the garlic, parsley, basil and nuts to make a paste. If you don't have a pestle and morter, just mix together well - it doesn't matter too much if the pine nuts are left whole.
- When the pasta is cooked, spoon out 100ml of the water into a jug.
- Add the tomato paste to the remaining water and pasta and stir so that it is well mixed and smooth. If it looks a bit thick, add back some of the water you spooned out.
- Stir in the cannellini beans.
- Cover the bowl with a plate and cook in the microwave on full power for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with yeast flakes (if desired) and serve.