Pistacio and Sweetcorn Rice
- Serves: 1
- Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
- Note: Cooking time assumes that the brown rice is par-boiled and cooking time on the packet says 25-30 minutes. The amount of sweetcorn is a question of taste. If you are using tinned sweetcorn, you can experiment with the portion of your tin so you have the same amount for next time.
- 1 handful of brown rice (about 30g)
- 20g pistacios
- 80-100g tinned or frozen sweetcorn
- 1 good vegetable stock cube or half a level tablespoon of vegetable stock powder/granules
- Put the kettle on.
- In a pan, put the rice and vegetable stock.
- Once the kettle has boiled, add the boiling water to the pan covering the rice by about 1cm.
- Give it a stir so that the stock has dissolved and put the lid on. Place on a medium heat and set your kitchen timer for 25 minutes.
- Roughly chop the pistacios and stir them into the rice.
- Put the lid back on and let it bubble gently (more than simmer, but not furious).
- Check it from time to time so that it doesn't boil dry. If it looks like it's going to boil dry, add some more water from the kettle. There's no need to keep stirring it.
- If using frozen sweetcorn, pour boiling water over it to defrost it and drain.
- When 25 minutes have passed, stir in the sweetcorn, put the lid back on, turn off the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
If your brown rice is not par-boiled, cook for 45 minutes instead of 25.